I am working on modelling of atmospheric aerosol properties and the impact of aerosols on climate change.
• Estimation of spatially and temporally resolved observation-constrained emissions of black carbon (BC), organic matter (OM) and sulfur di-oxide (SO2) over the Indian region with a strategic integrated modeling approach.
• Evaluation of wintertime direct radiative effect due to BC aerosols over Indo-Gangetic Plain (IGP) as modelled with new BC emission inventories in chemical transport model, CHIMERE.
• Estimation of population exposure and potential risk due to wintertime BC pollution load simulated with constrained BC emission in CHIMERE and mitigation compared to that using the baseline BC emission (low emission scenario).
• Characterization of the seasonality in radiative effect simulated with improved BC emission over the Indian subcontinent.
My research works are focused on improvement of emission database over Indian domain, estimation of direct radiative effect and health impact due to BC during winter. I also developed a sustainable mitigation plan to reduce the BC emission.
List of publications in International Journals:
1. Verma, S., Reddy, D. M., Ghosh, S., Bharath Kumar, D., Kundu Chowdhury, A., 2017, Estimates of spatially and temporally resolved constrained black carbon emission over the Indian region using a strategic integrated modeling approach. Atmos. Res. (IF: 4.676), 195, pp. 9-19, DOI: 10.1016/j.atmosres.2017.05.007.
2. Verma, S., Boucher, O., Ghosh, S., Bharath Kumar, D., 2018, Dataset of pre-monsoon aerosol species optical depth and concentration estimated from constrained simulation approach over the Indian subcontinent, Data in Brief, DOI: 10.17632/3f27kndz44.1
3.Ghosh, S., Verma, S., Kuttippurath, J. and Menut, L. Wintertime direct radiative effects of black carbon (BC) over Indo-Gangetic Plain as modelled with new BC emission inventories in CHIMERE, 2021. Atmos. Chem. Phys. 21, 7671–7694, DOI:10.5194/acp-21-7671-2021
4. Dumka, U. C., Kaskaoutis, D. G., Verma, S., Ningombam, S. S., Kumar, S. and Ghosh, S., 2021, Silver linings in the dark clouds of COVID-19: Improvement of air quality over India and Delhi metropolitan area from measurements and WRF-CHIMERE model simulations, Atmos. Pol. Res. (IF: 3.527), 12, pp. 225-242, DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apr.2020.11.005.
5. Verma, S., Ghosh, S., Boucher, O., Wang, R. and Menut, L., 2022, Black carbon health impacts in the Indo- Gangetic plain: exposures, risks and mitigation, Science Advances, manuscript no. abo4093 (accepted).
List of pulications in National Proceedings and Bulletins:
1. Reddy, D.M., Verma, S., Samal, B., Ghosh, S., Spatially and temporally resolved gridded restrained black carbon emission over Indian region in a strategic integrated modeling approach, Bulletin of the Indian Aerosol Science and Technology Association (IASTA), 2016, 22 (12), 637-639.
2. Ghosh, S., Verma, S., Ray, R., Dubey, K., Seasonal variation in Black Carbon burden simulated with WRF-CHIMERE model over Indian subcontinent, Proceedings of the Indian Aerosol Science and Technology Association (IASTA), 2018, 412-415.
3. Ghosh, S., Verma, S., Ray, R., Potential of simulated atmospheric Black Carbon (BC) burden and its radiative response to the emission strength efficacy over the indian region in a chemical transport model (CHIMERE), Proceedings of the Indian Aerosol Science and Technology Association (IASTA), 2018, 416-419
List of courses attended:
1. Five days Global Initiative of Academic Network (GIAN) course on Energy, Environment
and Sustainability: Enabling advanced solutions using aerosol science held at IIT Bom-
bay, Powai, India-400076, from 04.02.2019 to 08.02.2019.
1. Ghosh, S., Verma, S. and Ray, R., 2022, Modelling of inter-seasonal atmospheric radiative perturbation due to black carbon (BC) over India, in a chemical transport model (CHIMERE), with observation-constrained BC emission, International Conference on Environmental Science and Engineering-ICESE (virtual), 2022, Abstract ID: A22 (awarded for best oral presentation).
2. Verma, S., Ghosh, S., Boucher, O. Wang, R. and Menut, L., 2020, Black carbon pollution attributed sanitary impacts and targeting sustainable emission reduction for health-benefits over the South Asia Indo-Gangetic Plain, American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting (virtual), 2020, Abstract ID: A111-0008, bibcode: 2020AGUFMA111.0008V.
3. Ghosh, S., Verma, S., Kuttippurath, J. and Menut, L., 2020, Wintertime Radiative Effects Due to Black Carbon (BC) Over Indo-Gangetic Plain as Modeled With Recently Estimated BC Emission Inventories in CHIMERE, American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting (virtual), 2020, Abstract ID: A112-0003, bib-code: 2020AGUFMA112.0003G.
4. Ghosh, S., Verma, S. and Kuttippurath, J., 2020, Evaluation of emission strength efficacy in simulating black carbon burden with CHIMERE: estimating wintertime radiative effect over Indo-Gangetic Plain, EGU General Assembly 2020, Online, 48 May 2020, EGU2020-17436, https://doi.org/10.5194/egusphere-egu2020-17436.
5. S. Verma, Ghosh, S., Boucher, O. and Wang, R., 2019, Impact of Improved Constrained Black Carbon (BC) Emissions and Fine Grid Resolved BC Aerosol Transport Simulated in a Chemical Transport Model (CHIMERE) over the Indo-Gangetic Plain: Implications to Population Exposure, Risks and Mitigation, American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, 2019, Abstract ID: A23Q–2936.
6. Ghosh, S. and Verma, S., 2019, Evaluating the potential of simulated atmospheric black carbon (BC) burden and radiative perturbations over the Indo-Gangetic Plain, to the emission strength efficacy using a high resolution chemical transport model (CHIMERE), American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, 2019, Abstract ID: A51S-2900.